Standard Semester Contract
Student parking contracts, that are valid 24 hours a day/7 days a week, are available each semester through an online lottery. Students may enter the lottery each semester, but entering does not guarantee a parking contract. Contracts are good for one semester only. Locations vary but always include spaces on each campus.
Video - How To Enter Parking Lottery
- Access to your assigned facility 24/7. (At most locations. Contract holders without 24/7 access in their assigned facility are provided with evening and weekend access at a nearby location.)
- Unlimited entry and exit.
- Off-peak contract parking privileges - Students, faculty, and staff with 24/7 parking contracts may park at one of 15 facilities during Off-Peak Contract Parking hours if space is available.
- Easy convenient payment through student accounts receivable (SAR) system.
Convenient payment is through your student accounts receivable (SAR). Fees for lottery contracts are posted to SAR on the first day of the semester. Student contracts are charged as a one-time fee covering the entire semester.
The monthly breakdown for parking facilities is:
- Lot - $77.00 per month
- Ramp - $109.00 per month
- Garage - $143.00 per month
See One Stop Student Services for further information on SAR and billing.
How The Lottery Works
- Log into the lottery sign-up using your University Internet ID and password.
- The system will automatically designate you as a commuter or residence hall student.
- Commuter students select up to three contract locations.
- Residence hall student parking is assigned based on hall location.
- Submit your application.
Commuter Student Versus Residence Hall Student
A residence hall student is determined as a student living in University housing, with the exception of University Village and Radius Apartments - those buildings have their own designated parking. There are eight residence halls (Bailey, Centennial, Comstock, Frontier, Middlebrook, Sanford, 17th Avenue, and Territorial Halls) and two apartments (Keeler and Yudof Halls).
If you are a student living in an apartment complex across the street from campus or living in an apartment 30 miles away, you are a commuter student.
In the lottery, names are selected on the day after the lottery sign-up closes. Selected students will receive an e-mail notification by noon. The deadline to respond is outlined in the Terms and Conditions when a student signs in.
Students who accept a parking contract will immediately receive a purchase confirmation e-mail. The semester fee will be automatically charged to your university student account.
The U Card is the parking credential at most University parking facilities. Just tap the U Card to the contract reader equipment at the entrance and exit.
For students who park in ungated, hangtag lots only:
- Commuter students will need to visit PTS Customer Service to pick up their hangtag.
- Residence hall students will pick up their hangtag at their hall on move-in day.
Students may review their status in the lottery at any time by logging into the system. Results from the drawing are available online by noon of that day. At the conclusion of the lottery, all students not selected for a parking contract will be notified of their status by e-mail.
After the Lottery
PTS will post a Google form here for students to sign up to purchase any unsold parking contracts. The form will be posted on August 9 at 10 a.m. Contracts will be sold on a first-come, first-served basis.
Explore other parking options.
- During fall and spring semester, contract space is always available in the State Fairgrounds lot for commuter students (this can be conveniently purchased through the lottery or by coming into the PTS office). The Campus Connector provides a fast, easy ride to East or West Bank. Learn more about the Campus Connector. Note: the State Fairgrounds lot is NOT available during the summer.
- Park in daily lots.
Consider alternative transportation.
- Transit – U of M partners with Metro Transit to offer the U-Pass. This pass can be a savings of up to $650 per semester depending on fare type. Learn more and purchase your U-Pass.
- Rideshare/Carpool – Check out Gopher RideShare, the U of M rideshare service. Login with your UofM credentials to find ride partners.
Counterfeit/Altered Parking Permits – Use of stolen, counterfeit, or altered parking permits will result in a parking citation and loss of contract privileges for contract holders for one calendar year from date of infraction. Lost or stolen permits should be reported to Parking & Transportation Services immediately.