Seeking a vehicle for your department/area operations? From cars to garbage trucks, PTS Fleet has you covered. By letting us handle the paperwork, you can save yourself time and money.
- No up-front costs.
- Lease payments are charged to operating accounts and spread over the term of the lease. Large expenditures in a single budgetary year are avoided.
- License is included in the monthly lease fee.
- On TC campus vehicles, mileage rates include maintenance and repairs, preventative maintenance scheduling, roadside assistance and free replacement vehicle.
- Additional vehicle equipment can be included in the lease.
- Open-ended leases can be terminated with a 90-day written notice after the first year of the lease.
- You have the flexibility to exchange your vehicle if another one is available.
- Leased vehicles are generally newer than departmentally purchased vehicles.
- Lease Agreement
Need a Courtesy Vehicle?
Fleet Services offers the opportunity to schedule courtesy reservations online after you have made a maintenance appointment with the shop.
Start the Leasing Process
- Determine your time commitment.
- Minimum lease period is one year and can be terminated with a 90-day written notice.
- Fill out the Request Form to start the process.
- In order to request a new lease vehicle for a University department or business unit, the New Vehicle Request Form must be completed and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Once this form has been submitted, a representative from Fleet & Transit Services will contact the requestor within three business days to discuss the request in more detail.
- Your vehicle is ordered after another form is submitted authorizing the actual vehicle purchase or lease.
- Typically, the requestor decides the vehicle color and options.
- This process takes a minimum of 120 days.
- Occasionally, vehicles are available for immediate lease.
- At times, an interim vehicle may be available for your use until your new vehicle arrives.
- Pick-up your vehicle at the PTS Fleet Building, 901-29th Avenue SE
- Our office will contact you once the vehicle arrives. The lease agreement must be completed and signed before the vehicle leaves the lot.
- Leasing charges are billed monthly through eStatements.
- If you need a parking contract for the Twin Cities campus, contact Customer Service at 612-626-7275.
- PTS Fleet will need written authorization from the department head to lease a vehicle.
- Minimum term of all leases is one year.
- The monthly billing includes a period charge and mileage fee (on TC campus vehicles only). Insurance and fuel consumption are billed separately on a monthly basis.
- All drivers must be on the university payroll. If not, they must be a student or volunteer with written permission from the head of the renting department. All drivers must be at least 18 years of age and have a valid driver's license from one of the 50 states or Canada. We accept restricted driver's licenses.
- The only passengers allowed in any vehicle are those on official university business. No exceptions.
- All accidents must be reported, whether or not there was any damage done to the university vehicle.
- Lessee is liable for all damage to the vehicle, whether or not it is accident related. Fleet Services will only reimburse the cost of damages when an accident report is filed and the claim is approved by insurance.
- Maintenance on TC campus vehicles is to be done in the PTS Fleet shop except in the case of emergencies.
Tickets/Tolls/Other Citation Responsibility
Tickets, unpaid tolls, and other citations are the responsibility of the driver, not the department. See the University of Minnesota Board of Regents Policy.
NOTE: Tolls are reimbursable travel expenses, however, late fees associated with unpaid tolls are the responsibility of the driver.
When vehicles are used for field work, please take reasonable care to protect the vehicle. We are all stewards of University property.
This includes, but is not limited to, these guidelines:
- Drive slowly on dirt roads
- Avoid driving large vehicles down heavily-forested areas
- Put all research chemicals into plastic totes
We appreciate your cooperation.