Parking Safety Tips
- Stay alert to the heavy pedestrian and bicycle traffic around campus.
- Always leave your vehicle with the windows/sunroof closed and doors locked, even if you will only be gone a short time.
- Put valuables/packages in the trunk before you arrive at your destination.
- Scan the path you walk to and from your car. Check around and inside the vehicle before entering.
- Have your keys in your hand prior to arriving at your car.
- Don’t walk into a parking area if you feel uncomfortable.
- Park in well-lit, visible areas when returning to your vehicle after dark.
- Avoid parking next to large trucks or vans.
- Use caution in enclosed parking garages.
General Safety Tips
- Always wear your seat belt.
- Keep your car in good running condition with the gas tank at least a quarter full.
- Stay in your car if it breaks down on the road. Raise the hood and set your emergency lights. When someone stops to help, ask them through a closed or cracked window to call the police for help. Do not get out.
- If you see a motorist in need, get the vehicle’s license plate number and location, then call the police for help.
- If you think something is wrong with your vehicle, are bumped from behind or being followed, pull into the nearest service station or well-lit public area and call the police from there.
- Police emergency lights are red and blue. Do not stop for flashing white headlights alone.
Friendly Driver Training Class
Friendly Driver training is available online for free. Join the interactive online class that can teach drivers how to share the road with bicyclists.
There are many reasons people choose to ride a bike. No matter what the reason, everyone has a right to be on the road and deserves to arrive at a destination safely. It is important to know how to safely share the road.
Learn how to drive safely and respectfully around people biking with an easy-to-follow curriculum that consists of ten short videos. The course is estimated to take 45 minutes to complete. Individuals who complete the course can receive a Bicycle Friendly Driver certificate upon completion.
Videos are also posted individually for viewing separately outside of the class.