Washington Avenue is closed to general traffic between Pleasant and Walnut streets.
Only transit buses, light-rail trains, emergency vehicles and bicycles are permitted on the Washington Avenue Transit/Bike/Pedestrian Mall between Walnut and Church streets. See map.
In this area, buses and trains will operate jointly on light-rail tracks at restricted speeds. Bicycles and emergency vehicles will share outside lanes.
Safety on the station platform
- Turn down your mobile device near the platform and rail crossings.
- While waiting for the train, always stand behind the yellow line on the platform.
- Stand back until the train stops. Be careful of trains leaving the station.
- Cross tracks only at the ends of the platform.
- Running or horseplay on the platform is dangerous – especially near moving trains.
- Skateboarding, rollerblading and riding bikes on platforms is not permitted.
- Wait for other passengers to exit the train before you board.
- Don't stick arms or legs in the doors to prevent them from closing; just relax and wait for the next train, it's just a few minutes away.
Metro Transit created a video to show how to use the new Washington Avenue Transit/Biking/Pedestrian Mall safely.
Unlike freight trains, you might not hear a light-rail train approaching. Pay attention near the tracks.
- Listen for train horns and warning bells.
- The ends of a light-rail train are identical. Red taillights mean a train is moving away from you.
- Look both ways before crossing the tracks by car, bike or on foot.