Shared bikes and motorized foot scooters are a great alternative for those short trips to and from the campus. Remember to ride safely and park only at bike racks.
Where Can A Shared Bike or Scooter Be Left?
- These are required to be parked at any campus bike rack.
- 9,000 free racks/hoops are located around campus near almost every building.
- Ride in bike lanes and paths.
- Never ride on campus sidewalks (unless designated as a bike lane with pavement markings).
- Obey all traffic signs, signals and laws.
- Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks.
- Most campus bike lanes are one-way only. You must ride in the direction of traffic.
- Helmets are recommended. If renting a scooter, wear all protective gear required or recommended by the vendor.
- Watch for designated areas to dismount and walk your scooter. One example is to walk your scooter on a sidewalk to get to a bike rack for parking.
- Don’t leave them next to handrails, trees, fences, bus shelters or anything other than bike racks. Illegally parked bikes and scooters are subject to tag and removal.
- Don't block sidewalks or access ramps. Illegally parked bikes and scooters are subject to tag and removal.
- Use headlights for night riding.
University of Minnesota Board of Regents Policy - review Ordinance No. 7 on page 14
Full text version of the Minnesota Motorized Foot Scooter laws and statutes