- Pedestrians must adhere to all traffic signals.
- Stick to the marked crosswalk - jaywalking is subject to a $112 fine.
- Use the FREE Campus SafeWalk Service. Available 24/7 by calling 612-624-WALK (9255).
- Wear reflective-colored clothing at night to make you more visible.
- Stay aware of your surroundings. Don’t be distracted with electronic devices.
- Drivers are required to stop for pedestrians in a crosswalk, but the vehicle has the right-of-way when it is lawfully inside the intersection before the signal changes or the pedestrian leaves the curb. Don't take chances; stay alert for oncoming traffic.
- Be careful of blind spots around cars, trucks and buses. Always assume the driver does not know you are there.
- Never leave any personal belongings unattended.
- Walk with a friend.
- If you think you are being followed, divert your route to a populated area.
- Trust your instincts. If someone makes you uncomfortable, move away from that person.
- Use sidewalks.
- Alert others of your presence.
- Remove skates indoors.