Standard Semester Contract
Student parking contracts, that are valid 24 hours a day/7 days a week, are available each semester through an online lottery. Students may enter the lottery each semester, but entering does not guarantee a parking contract. Contracts are good for one semester only. Locations vary but always include spaces on each campus.
UPDATE! Fall 2021 student contracts - Leftover sale posting pushed back to Wednesday, September 1, 2021 at 10:00 a.m. The link to the form will be available here.
- Spring Semester 2022 -- TBD
- Summer 2022 -- no lottery: Space will be sold on a first response basis.
Video - How To Enter Parking Lottery
- Access to your assigned facility 24/7. (At most locations. Contract holders without 24/7 access in their assigned facility are provided with evening and weekend access at a nearby location.)
- Unlimited entry and exit.
- Easy convenient payment through the student accounts receivable (SAR) system.
Lots – $74.00 per month; Ramps – $104.75 per month; Garages – $137.00 per month.
How It Works
- Log into the lottery sign-up using your University Internet ID and password.
- The system will automatically designate you as either a commuter or residence hall student.
- Commuter students select up to three contract locations.
- Residence hall student parking is assigned based on hall location.
- Submit your application.
Commuter Student Versus Residence Hall Student
A residence hall student is determined as a student living in University housing, with the exception of University Village and Radius Apartments - those buildings have their own designated parking. There are eight residence halls (Bailey, Centennial, Comstock, Frontier, Middlebrook, Sanford, 17th Avenue, and Territorial Halls) and two apartments (Keeler and Yudof Halls).
If you are a student living in an apartment complex across the street from campus or living in an apartment 30 miles away, you are a commuter student.
The lottery is conducted in two rounds. In the first round, names are selected on the day after the lottery sign-up closes. Selected students will receive an e-mail notification by noon. The dates for each round and the deadlines to respond are outlined in the Terms and Conditions when a student signs in.
Students who accept a parking contract will immediately receive a purchase confirmation e-mail. The fee for the semester will be automatically charged to your university student account.
Prior to the start of the semester, commuter students will receive their hangtag (if applicable) by mail at the address listed on their lottery application. Residence hall students will pick up their hangtag (if applicable) at their hall on move-in day.
Students may review their status in the lottery at any time by logging into the system. Results from each of the drawing dates are available online by noon of that day. At the conclusion of the lottery, all students not selected for a parking contract will be notified of their status by e-mail.
After the Lottery
The Last-Chance Lottery is another chance to purchase a parking contract for the semester.
- Students must SIGN UP between Thursday, August 12 and Wednesday, August 18 (only a ONE-WEEK window).
- Commuter students will choose ONE parking location. Residence hall students will be assigned a location close to their residence hall assignment.
- If your name is drawn, it is a commitment to purchase the parking contract and the cost will be automatically charged to your student account. Unlike the regular Student Parking Contract Lottery, there is NO decline offered in the Last-Chance Lottery.
- Students must re-enter the Last-Chance Lottery. You are NOT automatically entered.
- The drawing will be on Friday, August 21 and parking contracts will be mailed the following week.
After the Last-Chance Lottery
UPDATE! Fall 2021 student contracts - Leftover sale posting is pushed back to Wednesday, September 1, 2021 at 10:00 a.m. The link to the form will be available here at that time.
PTS will post a Google form here for students to sign up to purchase any unsold parking contracts. Contracts will be sold on a first-come, first-served basis. Students will have the opportunity to either choose a mail or pick-up option. Due to COVID-19, those selecting the pick-up option will be assigned a confirmed pick-up time.
Explore other parking options.
- During fall and spring semester, contract space is always available in the State Fairgrounds lot for commuter students (this can be conveniently purchased through the lottery or by coming into the PTS office). The Campus Connector provides a fast, easy ride to East or West Bank. Learn more about the Campus Connector. Note: the State Fairgrounds lot is NOT available during the summer.
- Park in daily lots.
Consider alternative transportation.
- Transit – U of M partners with Metro Transit to offer the U-Pass. For Fall 2021, it costs $57 for the semester (discounted from the usual $114 per semester). This pass can be a savings of up to $650 per semester depending on fare type. Learn more and purchase your U-Pass.
- Rideshare/Carpool – Check out Gopher RideShare, the U of M rideshare service. Login with your UofM credentials to find ride partners.
Reminder! Each fall semester, the process begins anew and ALL students must re-enter the lottery at the top of this page.
Counterfeit/Altered Parking Permits – Use of stolen, counterfeit, or altered parking permits will result in a parking citation and loss of contract privileges for contract holders for one calendar year from date of infraction. Lost or stolen permits should be reported to Parking & Transportation Services immediately.